Questions & Answers

What happens when my child goes to another school in another city or province?

The StudentsFIRST membership follows your child to their new school. Please ensure you make the necessary changes to your child's or teenager's MedicAlert file by contacting us and updating their record.

What do I do if my child's MedicAlert identification is lost or stolen?

A replacement is available for the regular cost. Contact MedicAlert and speak to a customer service representative.

I have a child who is not school age and should join MedicAlert.

MedicAlert offers a membership package for new members that may meet your needs. Call our toll-free number at 1-866-734-9423 or visit us at to learn more.

I cannot afford a MedicAlert membership for my child. What can I do?

Call us and speak to a Customer Service Representative. We have other programs that may be able to assist you.


For more information, call toll-free 1-866-734-9423 or contact us