Legal Counsel & Privacy Officer
About the job
With over 60 years of experience, MedicAlert Foundation Canada is the leading provider of high quality health information to first responders at a time of a health emergency. We are a human-centered organization that values and welcomes innovative thinking, coupled with diversity of opinion, perspective and lived experience that will enable you to fulfill your desire to grow your career and your social impact.
Do you want to be part of a growing organization that is currently undergoing complete digital transformation, where the opportunities to make an impact are huge?
If you are ready to be part of such a team and help people living in Canada have access to medical information, then this is the place for you!
As Legal Counsel & Privacy Officer your work will have a significant impact on the growth and sustainability of the organization. The organization will count on you to provide quality legal advice, effective business solutions pertaining to compliance, risk, privacy and various legislative areas, and contribute to strategic discussions and planning. You will be responsible for expanding and building on the organization’s Legal, Compliance, and Risk function, including identifying and managing risks, overseeing the organization’s contract management process, and continuing to develop an effective Privacy Program.
You will report to the Associate Vice President, Finance and Legal, and work closely with senior management and the executive teams to achieve effective legal and privacy standards appropriately suited to the organization. To be successful in this role, you will require a strong sense of ownership, self-drive, creativity and analytical thinking skills as well as be organized, adaptable, and eager to collaborate with business partners.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Identify, understand, communicate, and manage processes to ensure MedicAlert maintains all key legal obligations, including but not limited to, MedicAlert’s charitable status, relationship with customers, and remediation of any issues as necessary.
- Responsible for the organization's Privacy Program including but not limited to daily operations of the program, external representation as the Privacy Officer, development, implementation, and maintenance of policies and procedures, monitoring developing legislation, training, program compliance, investigation, remediation and tracking of incidents and breaches.
- Drafting agreements, including adding to, as well as managing, a templates database, as well as reviewing agreements, negotiating, and highlighting important provisions or explaining obligations and rights to business partners.
- Guide and support MedicAlert by conducting legal research, supporting organizational effectiveness initiatives, and providing timely legal advice.
- Serving as an independent in-house counsel generalist and attending to a wide variety of legal, quasi-legal, and business matters on an as-needed basis.
- Understanding MedicAlert’s strategic plan, and both short-term and long-term goals, to advise on organizational activities and ensure they are conducted in a strategic and compliant manner.
- In conjunction with the Associate Vice President, Finance and Legal improve upon the organization’s risk management framework and disaster recovery plan whilst performing risk assessments/analyses, mitigation, and remediation.
- Manage all filings, responses, inquiries and complaints from regulators and other external parties including but not limited to subscribers and members of the public.
- Tracking and understanding MedicAlert’s insurance, liability, and mitigation, including around IT and cyber.
- Managing and leveraging the work of outside counsel in a cost-effective manner to support and strengthen decision making.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable federal and provincial laws, relevant case law, and accreditation standards to provide sound advice to the organization.
- Provide support and information to MedicAlert’s Board of Directors.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario
- Law Degree from an accredited university in Canada or equivalent
- This position is suitable for someone with minimum 3-years post-call experience, preferably with at least 2 years practical business experience in an in-house role
- Proven ability to work independently to manage and prioritize a dynamic portfolio of work, subjected to prescribed timelines and record-keeping requirements
- Experience, knowledge and interest in the area of privacy law and policy in the private sector, including managing sensitive personal information and data
- Privacy Certification, for example CIPP/C or CIPM, preferred
- Strong legal and analytical skills, and the ability to communicate legal advice effectively, in both oral and written form
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem-solving and conflict management skills
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of ownership and taking initiative of one’s work
- Ability to spot issues, research, and find practical or creative solutions to every day legal and privacy problems
- Ability to collaborate and maintain positive professional relationships with business partners across the organization
- Demonstrated proficiency in balancing regulatory objectives with practical business considerations
- Knowledge of applicable legislation, including but not limited to, the Employment Standards Act, Consumer Protection Act, Ontario Corporations Act, Canadian Not-for-profit Corporations Act, PIPEDA, CASL, CRTC and more.
- Knowledge of CRA guidelines and rules related to Canadian Charities
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts including developing templates, communicating important provisions, and managing expectations is an asset.
- Drive to learn, understand and proactively contribute to an organization’s objectives, and to work collaboratively and creatively
- Bilingual (French and English) is an asset
- Experience in any of the following areas is considered an asset: employment, charity and non-profit, information technology, consumer protection, product development.
If you have the skills and qualifications, and share our passion for our mission, please apply with your resume and cover letter. We respectfully thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
MedicAlert is an accessible and inclusive employer that provides accommodation for employees with disabilities. If you require specific accommodation during the recruitment process because of a disability or a medical need, please let us know.
Thank you for your interest in MedicAlert Foundation Canada.