Treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity, freedom, and independence is an important part of MedicAlert's philosophy. We are committed to ensuring that our services and programs are accessible to all Canadians, including persons with disabilities.
MedicAlert will continuously work to meet accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), identify, prevent, and remove barriers, and will provide fair and effective accommodation for persons with disabilities.
MedicAlert will provide training to employees, volunteers, and others who deal with the public or other third parties on our behalf.
The accessibility training includes:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the requirements of the Customers Service Standard.
- Training on the Human Rights Code, including a person’s rights and responsibilities under the Code as it relates to AODA and how they affect you at work.
- MedicAlert’s policies and plans related to the Accessible Customer Service Standard.
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities who may also use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person.
- Accessibility resources available at MedicAlert.
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing MedicAlert’s goods and services.
- How to use the available equipment or devices that may help with providing goods, services, or facilities to people with disabilities.
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to the policies and plans.
In partnership with eSSENTIAL Accessibility Inc. to further the mission of ensuring anyone with a physical disability can easily access any consumer-based website, MedicAlert is proud to offer its subscribers an innovative online accessibility software completely free of charge.
eSSENTIAL Accessibility®, a provider of a software-based service that makes online environments fully accessible to individuals with physical disabilities, such as difficulty typing, moving a mouse or reading a webpage, through a revolutionary technology of keyboard and mouse replacement solutions.
This innovative assistive technology features functions such as an on-screen keyboard, auto click and hands-free movement tracking system is available in multiple languages and is recommended for subscribers with:
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Age-related factors
- Mild visual impairment
- Literacy deficiencies
- Limited English proficiency
Learn more about eSSENTIAL Accessibility here:
Feedback Process or Information Requests
A process has been established to encourage feedback regarding the way MedicAlert Foundation Canada provides goods and services to people with disabilities. This feedback can be made verbally via phone call, by e-mail, by mail, or via any other accessible method chosen by a person with a disability. All feedback materials should be directed to:
MedicAlert® Foundation Canada
895 Don Mills Road
Building #2, Suite #405
Toronto, ON M3C 1W3