MedicAlert S.A.F.E. (Students Assisting Friends Everywhere) is a free online resource that integrates health literacy as part of the healthy living expectations for Grades 1-6. This resource has been developed in concert with the Ontario Physical and Health Education Association (Ophea) to support student learning connected to The 2019 Ontario Health and Physical Education curriculum for Grades 1-8.
S.A.F.E also assists school boards and schools to implement some of the requirements outlined in School Board Policies on Prevalent Medical Conditions (Policy/Program Memorandum 161). S.A.F.E. addresses topics that establish a safe and inclusive learning environment within the classroom, including:
- belonging, personal identity, and ways to contribute to a positive, safe and inclusive environment for students to learn;
- promoting student physical and emotional safety including mental health and social-emotional learning;
- safety practices that can be used at school, at home, and in the community; and,
- awareness of prevalent medical conditions that affect students.
Your MedicAlert S.A.F.E. resources include:
- Classroom activities for Grades 1-6 that provide:
- connections to the overall expectations for Healthy Living and Social-Emotional Learning Skills;
- practical teaching and learning strategies for consideration when talking about physical and emotional safety with students; and
- topics that connect student learning from the in-class activities with the students’ home environment.
- Reference materials for teachers to assist with:
- planning and preparation for student learning;
- aligning student learning with the Ontario curriculum and ministry policies and priorities;
- establishing a safe and inclusive learning environment; and,
- increasing awareness of resources available to support implementation.
S.A.F.E. is part of MedicAlert's No Child Without Program. More than 50,000 children in 6,000 schools across Canada are the beneficiaries of No Child Without. Learn more about No Child Without today!